To most people, dryer vents aren’t ever a concern in their homes. Once you become a little more educated on this topic that may just change! There is truly more to keeping a dryer working and your home safe other then cleaning the lint screen. There can be complications and can even be life threatening. Let’s dive into this and look at what the benefits and risks are to a functional dryer vent.
Benefits of Cleaning Dryer Vents
The benefits are not near as drastic as the complications, but still very beneficial none the less:
1. Dry clothes- Sounds basic I know, but your clothes can actually dry more evenly and faster if your vents are clean.
2. Energy savings- An open and clear vent dries clothes faster and an average of 30% energy savings when vents are cleaned.
Complications of Clogged Dryer Vents
Now let’s look at the complications from a clogged dryer vent:
1. Higher energy usage- Poor air flow can restrict the unit from circulating hot air causing the unit to produce more hot air that is not needed.
2. Lint build up- Lint is a very flammable material and an estimated 15,000 fires occur annually from dryers and over 75-80% from clogged venting. Make sure to not ruin your dryer, home, or family from a home fire caused by a buildup of lint.
3. Animal nesting- If I were a small rodent where better to nest than a dryer vent during those chilly winter months. Again this clogs up the vent and causes problems.
Now that we have evaluated the benefits and dangers, you can decide to either clean it yourself or have a professional come out and clean it out for you. If you would like to DIY call one of the Appliance Factory Parts stores. If you would like to have a professional clean if for you contact our trade partners Brand Source Appliance Repair & Home Remodeling.